Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pure Love


Para, India  October 21- 23, 2011

Mothers, fathers, children, babies arrive to Para from nearby villages via open cars,  by carts, by bike- that is, riding on the frame holding the child while someone else pedals or by foot.  The colors of the mother’s sari’s are continually breathtaking.  Do not think I can ever get tired of the vast array of colors, design, outward and inner beauty displayed by these mothers.


For 3 days, we ( Dr. Chaterjee, Indrijit, Mousam and myself) ran health clinics. The 1st day- a Developmental Screening clinic for 0-1 year olds at the Para site; this was a pilot clinic for Dr. Chaterjee . That afternoon we conducted a mother's group meeting in the midst of a remote village.  The 2nd day- we traveled to a different village to a school site to run a primary health clinic (227 kids in 5 hours!!)  The 3rd day- a nutritional screening/primary health clinic for children 1-6 years old. ( 182 kids in 5 hours !!!) Last month, Nandita ran the same clinic and had 50 patients in total. I suppose word got out! This huge surge in attendance clearly displays the need for health care in the rural villages. Health care is desired and obvious to us over the past 3 days, will be utilized!  These clinics will provide a basis for primary care and continuity of care and further resources for these families. Amazing!!
For my colleagues and co-workers, I have many stories to tell you about the diagnoses picked up over the 3 clinic days.  Again, amazing!

Due to my lack of any Bengali language skill whatsoever; I weighed and measured the length and took arm circumferences of the children. Something I felt I could do and communicate via body language. Two of the days, I was lucky enough to have an assistant and more lucky to have met this beautiful 70-80 year old man called ChaCha (means uncle). ChaCha stayed by my side and helped me communicate to the families (although he only spoke about 5-10 words of English- I learned that sign/body language and the word “OK” go a long way!) He was previously a glaucoma patient at Para, (Nandita's husband runs an eye clinic there- does 800 surgeries a month!),  and since his surgery and new eyesight/glasses ChaCha walks there from his village every day to help out.  He definitely stole my heart- his smile was infectious; no teeth at all; full of love. When I left, he took both my hands and rubbed his hands together on them and put them to his heart!  Pure Love!

Despite poverty and a life that is unfathomable to us, the mothers and children radiated immense beauty and love. It confirmed my belief that there is really nothing like a mother-child/ family bond throughout all cultures and socioeconomic statuses to keep children happy, secure,and loved. Heartwarming!  Pure love!!





1 comment:

  1. Kathy
    I cannot believe you have only been there for a week and the two words you have chosen to describe your experience are Pure Love...amazing-
    You have captured and embraced the gift that India gives and you have received it with open arms!
    I am sure you and my mom will be connected forever
    Love
    Alayne
    xo

    ReplyDelete